Sitelier is a free OS for the social web: install apps, share with friends and family, and keep all your online information secure on a private website that you truly own.
Why does the web need an operating system?
As we live an increasingly large part of our lives online, we're increasingly aware that we're facing some problems. Our online lives are scattered across the web: we have accounts on more websites than we can remember, we can't search through all our data from one place, and hackers looking to steal our personal information have a wealth of weak links to target. And Web 2.0 has turned out to be a Faustian bargain: the cost of using web apps appears to be a steady erosion of our privacy, the loss of ownership and control over our own data, and being locked into service providers who don't always have our best interests at heart. Web apps are balkanized online prisons; what we need is an online home.
Sitelier is an operating system for the social web. It manages a secure private website where users can safely store all their online content and personal information, and install web apps to work with it – on their terms. It lets people connect with friends, family and colleagues, and use apps to communicate and share whatever they want with whomever they want – privately. Sitelier turns the web around, making it user-centric rather than service-centric, and promises unprecedented convenience, security, power, and freedom to its users. And because it's free and open source software, users can no longer be locked in: whether you rent or own, you can always move – like a home, not a prison.
What exactly does Sitelier do?
- Manages a private website where you can securely store all your online information and access it from anywhere.
- Lets you install web apps on your site for doing anything you can do on the web. Installed apps can and should keep all your data on your site.
- Lets you connect with contacts, such as friends, family or colleagues, and use apps to communicate and share content directly and securely.
- Gives you full control over exactly what apps and contacts are allowed to see and do on your site.
- Frees you from corporate control of your data by being free software that anyone can download and use for any purpose.
What does this get me?
It gets you ownership of your online life – by giving you a place on the web that's truly your own. Sitelier lets you keep all your online information – emails, photos, videos, blog posts, credit card numbers and billing addresses, your social network, everything – in one secure location over which you have absolute control.
The Web Today
Your online life is scattered across dozens of sites. They can do whatever they want with your data, while you can only do what they let you. Security lapses and privacy violations are common.
The Web with Sitelier
All your information lives in one secure location, over which you have absolute control. You can do whatever you want with your data, while websites (now apps) can only do what you let them. Your site can be hosted wherever you like.